Tuesday, April 24, 2007

More About Online Schools

Thanks, Mrs. W, for clearing up the book thing for me. I agree that being online makes students more susceptible to learning more. I liked the fact that VHS does not want its students sitting in front of a computer all of the time, but wants them to go out on field trips and such and then come back and write about their time away from the computer. I liked what Droste said, "You need the handshake and the hug. You need to bump into the student in the hall. You have to have that personal contact. people need to know how to act face-to-face with each other." That is one of my main concerns about online classes is that students don't get to know their teachers and their classmates. I believe they need to be in class. I'm not including college students in this which I say "students." I'm only thinking of K-12 students, because that's the business I'm in. I know college students can handle not knowing the teacher and their classmates, although I think they'd do better in the online classes if they did. At any age, there is no substitute for an onsite teacher, in my opinion. But I do believe technology has a definite place in schools and it is time for public schools to face that fact and do what they need to do to get it in place and use it.

No comments: